Sunday, December 28, 2008

An Open Letter to the Windy City


Dear Chicago,
I'm writing to you because I want you to know how I feel about you and I didn't think it would be appropriate to put it any other way. I thought about texting you, but there's too much to say, and I wanted you to comprehend my sincerity. I'd call you, but even though it's the weekend, my cellphone plan doesn't have the amount of minutes it would take to accurately describe what you've meant to me. Yes, it's that deep.
When I met you, I was on the cusp of a pivotal transition in my life. I was just about to complete my undergraduate academic career and I knew that I was ready to experience something outside of the comfort and security of my birthplace. You showed me a new world of opportunity and a place to advance myself personally and professionally. I remember thinking how incredible you were. You seemed to have everything. And I wanted everything.
Since we've been together, and having made a few trips back to North Miami Beach, FL (what they do), I've realized many things about our relationship. I put a lot of pressure on you. I've spent the past year trying to figure you out. Sometimes I wonder about your intentions, but I've enjoyed your company immensely and I have a lot of fun with you. We play around a lot, but I want you to know I'm serious about you. We've gone through so many things together, so many ups and downs. OMG, We're even going to see a hometown hero as President!
You're definitely different from anything I've ever experienced before and I'm trying to accept just who you are. I get frustrated sometimes when you don't understand me or where I'm coming from, but I'm appreciative that you give me the chance to express it anyway.
I'll be happy to see you again, even though you might be cold to me. I'm kind of looking forward to it... Actually, I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait to hear you say you'll be with me another year. See you soon.

Yours Truly,
Anna G.

2 comments:

Cary Reeder said...

What a nice mash note to your city. I hope she takes it the right way.

K. Melanie said...

that bitch chicago has stolen you from me. oh, she'll pay!